I promised myself I would get something accomplished today...I wouldn't give in to the urge. Beautiful skies, sun shining, and rumors from weather-people that the high today would reach 70 degrees. Perfect day to take the doors off the jeep and go for a drive. That is what I kept saying to myself. No. That's what you always do when you have free time on a pretty day. I kept going back and forth on what to do, what not to do, what I wanted to do, and what I needed to do. Laundry. Clean house. Grade papers. Take Christmas lights down from the house. Yes, that would get me outside and be something productive...success was just through the door.
The sunshine felt glorious. There was a strong breeze that smelled of spring. As I unhooked the light clips from the gutter I kept looking at the sky. The day before today I went ziplining and got to fly. Granted, I was attached to a metal cable by a harness. Its the closest thing to flying I have right now, besides speeding down the highway. Stop. I don't need to go driving...there's so much to do around here.
I have always felt a kindred spirit to birds. You probably think that's wierd, but I've always wanted to know what it would feel like to fly. When I see a flock of geese above, I think they're more free than I am. Freedom. That's what birds have. Pure freedom. Even when I see buzzards circling above a field, I still pause and something inside longs to switch places with those birds. When I was a child I would daydream about being a bird. Being able to float on a breeze and soar. I want to feel that someday. Ziplining is close, but you have to stop at the end of the line...birds have no lines, except those on which they choose to rest.
The Lord rested on the 7th day, but I'm not sure if I understand that. Rest? What is that? Is that what "normal" people do on the days they don't work. Is that the opposite of work? Is rest only when you're asleep, or do people rest when they are awake too? When I'm awake I like to be doing something. On days I'm supposed to rest...I need adventure. I need to feel alive. A few years ago I made one of the best decisions in my life. I bought a jeep. This has been the main source of my adventures ever since. I go anywhere...anytime...and so far have only had to be rescued once. The best part about driving a jeep, other than being able to go on and off the road, is the freedom I feel when the top is down and the doors are off. A friend once asked me "Who wants a vehicle you take apart?" My response: "Who doesn't?" I get almost giddy when I put the top down. Its the first step toward feeling free again. Its the first step toward how I rest...I go. Its been said before that "go" must be my favorite word because I go all the time. So on this pretty afternoon, that's what I wanted to do.
I thought about a nap, but those seem to be more and more just a waste of time. A waste of daylight. So, after doing dishes, cleaning house a little, and taking down the Christmas lights from the house, I felt like I had been productive so I gave in to the urge. I took the doors off, and, since my hardtop is on because of winter, lifted the back window. I love being able to jump in and out of my jeep with the doors off. I love being able to stick my left foot out the door and rest it on the side step while feeling the wind between my toes. I love the wind on my face. I love stretching my arm fully out the side of the jeep without a window sill to rest it on...its like flying. My jeep is my way of flying. About an hour on my favorite drive, which includes a road that goes straight through a creek, and I was happy again. I needed to feel the wind between my toes. Winter has been great with several adventures, but nothing compares to feeling the wind between my toes. I love it, and am thankful for this pretty day in February when I could feel free again.
No comments:
Post a Comment